CAE Ultra Shifter - BMW (up to E46) original version
FOR SLIGHTLY SHORTER, SEE THE "STREET" VERSION
The CAE Ultra Shifter stands above other H-pattern performance shifters for your BMW. Optimized for motorsport and characterized by its optimal ergonomics, the Ultra Shifter reduces excessive hand movement during shifts. This is NOT just a "short shifter" with a long shaft. This is a complete overhaul in your shifting experience.
Where the CAE differs from most other aftermarket shifter options is in the quality of materials and the quality of the machining. The highest of tolerances are used to reduce as much extra "play" during shifts. The precision positioning of your shifts reduces wear on your gearbox syncros.
This unit features an active centering spring that provides feedback that you can feel. This keeps your shift lever positioned for your most common 3rd/4th gear changes, while pre-positioning the shift lever for precision up/down shifts. This increases confidence and decreases your lap times. Rowing through gears NEVER felt this good.
The stock resistance-based reverse "lockout" is not 100% reliable to keep a driver from accidentally throwing the car into reverse during a downshift. The CAE features a mechanical reverse lockout to prevent a catastrophic mis-shift.
This is the classic version. It features the original shift selector height. Optimized for reducing hand movement between the wheel and gear changes. Perfect for RACE/TRACK application.
CAE Ultra Shifter - Optimised for motor sports with the following features:
- Universal kit for vehicles with 5 and 6 speed Getrag and ZF transmissions, standard H-pattern or Dog Leg.
- Short and super-precise shifting travel, exclusively H-pattern.
- The coupling system remains in its original form.
- Racing-style appearance.
- Characterised by its optimal ergonomics with a focus on motor sports: perfect positioning of the shift lever close to the steering wheel. The shift pattern is confined to approx. 65 x 65 mm.
- Activation of the reverse gear lock via cable reel from the shift lever. An accidental changing to the reverse gear is impossible. The reverse gear is unlocked by pulling up the sliding collar on the shift lever.
- Low weight and high stability: the milled and lathed parts consist of 7075 aluminium alloy; the substructures are made out of laser-cut, 3 mm thick AlMg3 aluminium. The parts are combined in the WIG welding process and brushed blank for an optimal finish.
- Problem-free shifting of gears under stress or in curves.
- Integrated centre position spring, ensuring perfect feedback when changing columns while shifting up and down.
- Right/left stops and reverse gear stop adjustable separately.
- Complete kit for adaptation to BMW switch rod with all small parts and fastening material.
- Shifters is intended for vehicles without interior equipment or without a centre console.
- Raw Aluminum Finish (Not clear-coated) OR Anodized. You can choose anodized aluminum gear lever knob in various colors, black or white delrin, or alcantera wrapped with contrasting X-stitch
To complement the CAE Ultra Shifter for your BMW, we also carry the CAE adjustable selector rod (DSSR) for both 5 & 6 speed transmissions (choose the version within the range of your stock selector rod)
X-Short ( XS )
Adjustable from 125 - max 160mm (hole distance)
Suggested Application: E46 M3, ZHP 6-speed
Short ( S )
Adjustable from 160 - max 220 mm (hole distance)
Suggested Application: E36 6 w/ 6-speed swap
Long ( L )
Adjustable from 205 - max 280 mm (hole distance)
Suggested Application: 2002, E21, E30, E24, E28, E36 5-spd, E46 5-spd, E39 M5
Total height: approx. 400 mm Total length: approx. 180 mm Dimensions of base plate: approx. 150 x 125 mm Shifting travel: approx. 65 mm Selector travel (transverse direction): approx. 65 mm Weight (complete): approx. 1,05 kg Offset of the gear lever knop (back / up): depending on vehicle type approx. 50 / 170 mm
HARD Motorsport is the Official North American distributor for CAE Ultra Shifters. Imported directly from CAE GmbH in Germany, we are your premier source for all CAE Shifting Technology products.
Imported from Germany.
We are stocking inventory as fast as it can be manufactured and imported.
Delays of 3-6 weeks are possible for special order or out of stock items.
8 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This is one of those parts that completely changes the way the car feels, in the best possible way. The shifter is a work of art. Installation was fairly straight forward. Feels absolutely great when driving. 110% worth it.
Customer service from Jake was exceptional as well.
The first thing I noticed when receiving this from the mailman was how incredibly light the CAE was. The quality of the build is what is most noticed. I haven't installed it yet but Im sure I will be more than happy.
I have install many of these in both race cars and street cars. I think they are the best by far!
The instructions are poorly translated to english. I would subtract 1 star for that. That being said, the engineering on this shifter is unbelievable. Driving is greatly enhanced. 5 Stars all the way.....6 if the instructions were improved.
Product came in very quickly (2 days to Hawaii). Customer service was topnotch. Can't wait to get it install, pending my current turbo install.
I've had both the BW and AKG body mounted solid shifters on my cars, and the CAE is no comparison. The shifts are notchy, crisp, and confidence-inspiring. The mechanism is very well made and pretty to look at to boot.
Installed the shifter after a losing lots of ground during races from mis-shifting and a money shift at CIrcuit of the Americas. No I have CAE shifter and I think it is worth every penny spent. I raced for first time in the rain at Texas World and it was flawless.
See the shifter in action on you tube.
TWS NASA TEXAS OCTOBERFEST BMW CCA BLITZ RACE #3 October 12, 2014 RAIN DANCE
Absolutely love hardmotorsport cae shifter, can't wait to get one for my 997 gt3 !